In detail, the following are the most important substances particular to Olive Leaves:
1) OLEUROPEIN is the most highly represented molecule, with an even greater antioxidant effect than Vitamins C and E. This effect is enhanced by its synergy with flavonoids and phenols. Oleuropein’s protective effect on cellular oxidation has been proven by many international scientific studies.
The following recognized health benefits stand out in particular:
- Anti-inflammatory / immuno-stimulatory action
- Antimicrobial action
- Neuroprotective action
What is cellular oxidation? How harmful is it?
Cellular oxidation is caused by free radicals, harmful substances responsible for many degenerative processes and aging.
A free radical is a particularly reactive molecule or atom that contains at least one unpaired electron in its outermost orbit.
Because of this chemical characteristic, free radicals are highly unstable and try to regain their equilibrium by stealing the electron necessary to equalize its electromagnetic charge from a nearby atom.
This mechanism gives rise to new unstable molecules, triggering a chain reaction that, if not stopped in time, ends up damaging the cellular structures (mainly the mitochondria), which are the only structures of the cell, together with the nucleus, that contain the DNA. Mitochondria are the cell’s energy centers, home to cellular respiration and the production of energy needed for many cellular functions, such as movement, substance transport, etc.
It is important to emphasize that the attacked cell cannot defend itself: the oxidative process changes it forever, making it age quickly or, in some cases, literally go crazy, thus triggering the degenerative process.
The production of free radicals is a physiological event and one that occurs normally in cellular biochemical reactions; this phenomenon however is accelerated by external factors, the first of which is:
Prolonged psycho-physical stress
and also some
Additives and toxic substances present in food.
Fighting free radicals is the new watchword for preventing cancer and degenerative diseases, and for counteracting premature physical and mental aging.
In particular, one study has shown that Oleuropein decreases or even prevents the A-beta aggregation involved in Alzheimer’s disease 5 (20).
The potential effect of Oleuropein on brain function in Alzheimer’s disease is similar to that on Atherosclerosis: both diseases in fact are age-dependent and in both there is an excessive accumulation of certain metabolites (Cholesterol and A-beta respectively) that gradually create the bases for the full-blown degenerative disease.
The connection between heart diseases, hypercholesterolemia and Alzheimer’s is due to the fact that the pathogenetic mechanism of the three pathologies is very similar.
Click on the link at the end of this document to find the important international Scientific Studies on the Benefits of Olive Leaves.
OTHER ACTIVE MOLECULES OF PARTICULAR INTEREST:
2) HYDROXITYROSOL is a natural polyphenol with a very strong antioxidant action. It is a natural polyphenol that acts effectively as a protector against free radicals.
It is involved in inhibiting the oxidation processes connected to the phenomena of cellular alteration, which is typical of degenerative and aging diseases such as atherosclerosis, arthritis, cardiovascular disorders.
It can also have beneficial effects on our sight, reducing the risk of developing macular degeneration. It can activate the formation of Glutathione, a strong antioxidant agent produced by our body, active in cellular defense against damage induced by oxidative stress, reducing the melanogenic effect induced by UV radiation.
3) TYROSOL completes the action of major antioxidants; it improves the metabolic activities of our main organs (liver, muscles, heart), supports mental function and also has an anti-stress and antidepressant action.
It reduces intellectual fatigue, producing an improvement in memory, attention, concentration and intellectual performance in general.
In synergy with the other phenols, it has a regulating effect on body weight, with a weight-loss effect in cases of overweight and obesity, thanks to the stimulation of cellular enzymes that accelerate the mobilization of fats from deposit tissues, transforming them into lipids that are easy to eliminate, producing energy and reducing the compulsive desire for food at the same time.
4) ELENOLIC ACID is an antioxidant that improves blood circulation. In vitro it was found to have a very powerful antibacterial and antiviral action with a beneficial effect on the prevention and rapid resolution of infectious diseases.
5) RUTIN (also called “vitamin P”) has a strong antioxidant action that helps fight infectious diseases from the simplest (influenza) to the most important viral infections. It has a noticeable beneficial effect on microcirculation (it protects capillaries from rupture) and fluidifies the blood, thus inhibiting the harmful effects of obesity, cholesterol and high blood sugar. It also acts on the lymphatic circulation of the lower limbs, preventing liquids from stagnating. It has an antihistamine action.